
Today seemed like a normal crazy Tuesday. I was gathering craft supplies and rushing out the door to go to "Every Tuesday" the play-group for international wives and kids I help plan every week. As always, I was running late. I walked in to a room filled with international friends baring gifts and proudly presenting a cake. I was confused wondering why someone had brought a cake...then it hit me. This is my last ET gathering. What started as a normal Tuesday afternoon became my first afternoon of good-byes. It sounds stupid even to me that I forgot that this would be the last time I would be with these ladies. Maybe I was just putting off the emotions...or maybe I really am just that forgetful.
Anyway, it was such a sweet time. They had put together bags for Sam and Ruthie filled with small toys and books for the plane ride to China and they made me a photo book of our meetings together. I loved the thoughtful gifts, but I enjoyed the conversation that followed more. Ladies pulled me aside and gave me tips for moving overseas. I was given suggestions for packing, herbal teas to help me with stress and culture shock, and understanding hugs. Of all my friends I know that they understand what I am about to face. They have already packed up their children, said good-bye to their families and homes - to come and live here in Lansing. They hugged me tight and gave me a gift far better than any other...understanding.
The icing on the cake was the questions. Many of them wondered why an American would move to China. "Most people leave everything to come to the US. You are doing the opposite. Why?" I heard those same words often during the afternoon. It was a great way to share my heart with them. May HE honor those last conversations.
No comments:
Post a Comment