Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Little about Qinghai



One thing that Bryan and I have realized about ourselves is that we thrive on diversity. We love learning new things, getting to know different types of people, and discovering the richness that comes from adding those things to our family.

Maybe that is why we fell in love with Qinghai province. It is one of China's most diverse areas. Of the 5.2 million people who call Qinghai home, 54.5% are Han people, 20.8% are Tibetans, and the rest of the population is made up of Tu, Hui, Salar and Mongols. We are excited to learn more about the culture of the Tibetans who are Buddhist and the Muslim Hui people. Xining, the city we will live in, has one of China's largest Mosques and is near one of China's largest monasteries of Tibetan Buddhism.

Qinghai also is diverse in its natural beauty. It is famous for being the home of Qinghai Lake. It is the largest saltwater lake in China and is located on the "roof of the world" the Qinghai-Tibet plateau. The lake's elevation is roughly 10,500 ft and the surrounding area is made up of beautiful rolling grasslands, (see the photo of Ruthie) and populated by ethnic Tibetans (see the photo of Sam.)

Okay, so I am starting to sound like a tour guide...but maybe that is good. Maybe it will convince you to come visit us in our new home!

FYI: the content of the article was adapted from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinghai

3 comments:

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

One thing is for sure, Ruthie looks just like you, Tammy. Wow! This sounds like it will prove to be an incredible adventure, look forward to hearing more!

Sarah said...

I will tell you what... I can't WAIT for an opportunity to visit! I daydream about it a lot!!! Although, my hopes of taking L.C. and Pheoby to Hong Kong were kind of dashed when I realized how far you are away from there. It is hard for me knowing that I have to wait till 08 to come!

Bryan and Tammy said...

@ dave & ami - yeah, that's what people say. those are actually some of my favorite pictures of ruthie. there is one with her and tammy that is priceless.

@ sarah - yeah, feel free to come for a visit. we'd be glad to see you. don't think LC would come in march though. :-)