Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A day of GREAT sorrow.

We are all very sad today. Samuel's pet fish "Watery" died this morning. The little guy has hung in there for well over a year, which I feel is pretty amazing. Samuel wasn't as impressed.

I had to tell him the news when I picked him up from school today. I began with explaining that I had very bad news. Sam started to tear up as soon as I said Watery's name. "Oh he made me so happy and now I am so sad." He cried. I hugged him as tight as a five year old will allow. Then Sam pulled away and said, "I am thinking about Watery being in heaven, but that doesn't even make me feel better." I found myself assuring him that God was taking care of Watery now. I felt a tad guilty - is it really theologically sound to tell my son that fish go to heaven? I finally decided that God is a God of comfort. So I did what it took.

To be honest Sam finally felt better when he decided that Watery dying provided a great opportunity to get a new pet...like a dog! Hmmm, we will see about that. I don't have that much compassion for my sad son - at least not today.

1 comment:

simplicity said...

Think you could get a Dog or another pet though customs in China? A new fish or pet might be a good place to start once you get settled in at you new casa.