Thursday, June 14, 2007

ESFJ

For all of my work friends, I am sure that you will get a kick out of knowing that I was required to finally take the Myers-Briggs personality test. I have been doing everything in my power not to take it for the past five years. The idea of a test being able to tell me who I am drove me crazy. Not to mention I don't test well which added a whole other level to my desire to avoid being "profiled." Some of you might wonder what the big deal is...but you see in our organization EVERYONE asks everyone else what their "letters" are. I hated it. "Don't ask me my letters, get to know me and find out for yourself." That was my internal scream every time someone asked. My regional director laughed at me when I told him why I didn't want to take it. He said he knew exactly what my letters were just because I said that! Maddening!

Okay so this is a very long intro to simply tell you that I took the test; found out that I am an esfj (extrovert, sensing, feeling, judging) and actually liked the whole process. It was even more fun that Bryan and I were in the session with the psychologist together and were able to compare notes. WE ARE COMPLETELY OPPOSITE! Well all except the Judging which means we both like to be organized, scheduled, and predictable...that is probably what saves our marriage! :) It was fun to have the counselor tell us how to better utilize our personalities to serve one another better and tips on how our personalities will affect us living overseas. like - because my personality type is known as a "people gatherer" I will do better at learning Chinese in a group setting and practicing with my neighbors. Makes total sense. Bryan on the other hand a total introvert (yes, he really is an introvert) will do better with a one on one tutor. The counselor also gave us a few marriage tips, but maybe we will keep those confidential! :)

Anyway we are having fun in Madison. And all you IV folk can be smug about the fact that yes, you were right. I am glad that I took the stupid test.

Tammy

4 comments:

Sarah said...

So funny!!! I am not sure, but I think I might be ENFJ. Hmm... I may have to look for my old paperwork.

Ami said...

Hilarious. I am actually surprised that you never had to take it at Asbury. I always felt that MBTI was the "What is your sign?" equivalent. It is funny because there is definitely a "type" that doesn't want to take the test. Dave and I are complete opposites as well, but I remind him often that I have the same Myers Briggs as Jesus- ENFP.

Bryan and Tammy said...

Ami, I think you are totally right...it is the equivalent to "what is your sign". I died laughing when I read your comment.

simplicity said...

Welcome to the MBTI world from a slightly ISTJ. The test can totally put you in a box but it can also be a tremondous blessing once you know your tendencies - both strenghts and weakness. Glad the training is going well.